“You... don't have to do a thing
Just simply be with me and let those things go
'Cause they can wait another minute
Wait... this moment is too sweet
Would you please stay here with Me
And love on Me a little longer
I'd love to be with you a little longer
'Cause I'm in love with you” *
This song perfectly depicts God’s love for us. We don’t have to do anything for Him, just be with Him. Let all the things of the world go, your busy schedule, Facebook (yes, we’re all guilty of this) and spend time listening for His words of wisdom and revelation. You can distinguish God’s voice by pressing into Him (week 4 viewer guide).
This study has really shown me that to be able to really hear and discern God’s voice, you have to be close to Him. I really like the steps to discerning God’s voice that Priscilla laid out for us (week 1):
1. Expect to hear it – How can you expect to be able to hear God’s voice if you’re not expecting it?
2. Wait patiently for it- Wait patiently, God speaks to us and reveals stuff to us in His timing, not ours
3. Plan to obey it- If you have no intentions of obeying God’s voice, then why listen for it?
4. Listen for it- How can you expect a phone call, but then not listen for it when it rings, this works the same way with God
5. Have faith in it- Mark 11:22 “Have faith in God," Jesus answered. Have faith in what you hear from God, don’t be a ‘Doubting Thomas’
This study has also shown me that ‘the Holy Spirit works in our hearts, the hearts of others, and in the events of our lives to point us in His direction. He uses all these things to cause us to hear and heed his voice’ (week 3 day 1). There is no such thing as a coincidence, everything happens for a reason. Be sure to listen to others and what they have to say, whether it’s sermons, radio shows, Priscilla Shirer or even friends; God may reveal something through them for you. God also uses events in our lives to reveal His word to us. Even something as simple as a red light so you hear a few words from the pastor on the radio or something as big as no cell phones or electricity so you can focus on God and look to Him for your provisions. Let me make it clear that God doesn’t make these events happen to us, he allows them to happen and then uses them to better our walk with Him.
So, with that said and done, keep your ears open and be listening for God! :)